In order to make THC distillate there are 5 steps to follow:
- Extraction: Extraction is the process of removing the cannabinoids from the plant material. This can be done using a solvent such as CO₂, butane, or alcohol.
- Winterization: Once the cannabinoids are extracted, they need to be isolated from the plant material. This can be done by using winterization, which is a process of using cold temperatures and alcohol to remove impurities.
- Filtration: After the cannabinoids are isolated, they need to be filtered to remove any unwanted plant material or impurities.
- Decarboxylation: The next step is decarboxylation, which is when the THC is heated in order to alter THCa compound to THC. Without this crucial step ingesting distillate wouldn’t affect you in any way.
- Distillation: Finally, the THC needs to be distilled in order to purify it.
Now that you know how THC distillate is made, let’s talk about what it is. THC distillate is a highly concentrated form of THC that can be up to 99% pure. This means that it is much more potent than other forms of cannabis, such as flower or edibles.